Apr 1, 2013

Linzer Tart




A good friend of mine invited me for dinner last week. When I entered his apartment, I nearly stumbled on bags filled with nuts. Huge bags full of a variety of raw, organic nuts. The story behind? Here you go: His father owns a company that deals with dehydration tools for fruit and nuts. My friend and his father visited a nut farm in South of France and the farmer gave them tons of dried nuts as a give away (ok not tons but at least 40 pounds I swear). Wait, there's more!
So my friend ended up with huge bags full of different nuts in his living room. Delicious pistachios, walnuts and hazelnuts. All over the place. Before I left, he gave me a big bag of each type. Although they were really tasty to eat just out of the bags, I couldn't eat all of them by myself. I decided to process some of the hazelnuts into a Linzer Tart! I have never made one by myself but let me tell you, it's totally worth the effort! Have you ever made a Linzer Tart from scratch? I adapted the recipe from the little epicurean. I reduced the amount of sugar, added some cocoa powder and instead of almonds I used hazelnuts. 


Here's what you'll need (makes one 30 cm (or 9") tart):

140 gr unsalted butter, room temperature
90 gr granulated sugar
zest of 1 lemon
pinch of cinnamon
2 tsp cocao
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 pinch salt
1 large egg, room temperature
140 gr hazelnuts
125 all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
500 gr raspberry jam 
egg wash (1 egg + 1 tbsp milk)

Directions:

Cream together sugar, vanilla extract, salt and butter in a stand mixer with the paddle attachment until pale and fluffy. Add in the lemon zest and the egg and combine well.
Mix together ground hazelnuts, flour and baking powder. Add to the butter mixture. Mix just until dough holds together (don't over knead!). Allow the dough to cool and put it in the refrigerator for 15 minutes (wrapped in cling film).
Once dough is chilled, cut 1/3 of the dough and place back in the refrigerator. Take the remaining 2/3 and place it on a lightly floured surface. Roll out until about 0,5 cm thick. Gently move disc to a tart pan with removable bottom, and gently press the dough into all of the corners. Spread the raspberry jam on the bottom of your tart.
Take the remaining 1/3 dough out of the refrigerator. Roll out on a lightly floured surface until about 0,5 cm thick. With traditional cookie cutters, cut a few "cookies" and place them on top of the raspberry jam filled tart.
Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Fahrenheit and place the tart in the refrigerator for 20 minutes to chill. Whisk together the egg wash and brush a thin layer over the dough of your tart.
Bake for 35-40 minutes until the jam bubbles. If the dough browns too fast, cover it with tin foil.
Let cool before serving. Enjoy!


4 comments:

  1. Mmmm yum, your tart sounds delicious! It looks so cute too, I love the hearts!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! Thank you...