Apr 26, 2013

Green Monster Soup


Green is good. Green is healthy. I need good and healthy right now. Since a few days, I'm a true living bacteria slingshot. I got the whole package with fever, headache and sore throat. Since I read that happiness fastens the recovery, I'm pampering myself (besides ginger tea and the little gems I found in the depth of my medicine cabinet) with watching silly TV shows, eating peanut butter sandwiches and reading cheesy Africa novels (yes, the really bad ones with doctors, wild animals and true romance ;). As much as I love this daily schedule, at some point I needed more. I was in the mood for cooking a super healthy (and very tasty) soup to kick those bacteria out of my system. I decided to make the greenest soup I've ever had. If everybody is drinking green smoothies those days, a green soup can't be bad, right? Wait, there's more!

The soup turned out very smooth, rich and very tasty. I will definitely re-make it, not only when I'm sick :)

Here's what you need (2 portions):

1 onion
1 clove of garlic
5 anchovy fillets
2 tbsp olive oil
1 large broccoli head cut into florets
1 large potato
4 hand full of fresh spinach
1 vegetable stock cube
2 bay leaves
enough water to cover everything (about 4-5 cups)
salt, pepper, some olive oil and a little bit of lemon zest to garnish
splash of cream or milk (optional)

Directions:
Chop the onion, the garlic and the anchovy fillets and roast with the olive oil until slightly browned. Peel and cut the potato and add together with the broccoli florets to the onion garlic mixture. Add the stock, the bay leaves, the water and let cook on medium heat until soft and tender (about 15 minutes). When almost done, add the spinach (which will be tender in may be two minutes). Remove the bay leaves. Puree everything with a blender and season according to your taste. Feel free to add some milk or a splash of cream. Garnish with some herbs, coarse sea salt and a splash of olive oil. Serve with some toasted bread! Enjoy!




2 comments:

  1. This looks so good and healthy, and delicious too! I totally need this. I've been down with a sore throat for the past week, too - your daily schedule sounds very familiar, with Fawlty Towers, chick lit and mashed potatoes. :) Wishing you well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Alanna :) It did help actually!! Hope you feel better soon!! xox Amy

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! Thank you...